Thursday 12 April 2007

stay at home fathers finally taking shape...

Ok. Lets talk a bit about my work... Spent a week shooting around London in my Vespa (exactly how cool-not-so-retro-italian am I?!?!) photographing fathers who stay at home and look after the children while their wives go off to work. WOW, what an experience! Coming from a very "machistic" society, it was very hard to imagine men leaving the "winning the bread" job to women, but it happens, and it works perfectly... These dads have nothing to be ashamed of, they performa full time job, and develop an extraordinary relationship with their offspring. And last, but not least, don't have to deal with @##holes in the office (sorry, had to do that to keep this PG13).

So I shot the project in black and white cause I thought I was going into a battlefield, and wanted to follow in the tradition of the best combat photography, unfortunately, it was more like going into a hyppie village full of stoners, these kids were so well mannered. No crying. No whining. No ball breaking for no good reason. Perfect little kids, happy, polite, and generally lovely! I had started the whole thing in black and white, and kept consistent.

Out of the 3 families I shot, I decided to use only one for my essay, and make a kind of a "day in the relationship between a stay at home father and his daughters" story. I have plenty of great (great is a big, complex word) images from the other fathers too, but wasn't quite sure how to work them into the story. I will keep shooting them, and see if I can develop the essay further. I am quite intrigued. The fathers themselves seem quite happy to have me around, and hopefully they still will, even after they see the pictures.

All in all, I am quite happy with the project.

No comments: